China consumer price index (CPI) went up by 1.4% year-on-year in November. The prices grew by 1.5% in cities and 1.3% in rural areas.
The food prices in China went up by 2.3%, while the non-food prices increased 1.0%. The prices of consumer goods went up by 1.3% and the prices of services grew by 1.8%. On average from January to November, the overall consumer prices were up by 2 percent over the same period of the previous year.
In November, the month-on-month change of consumer prices decreased 0.2% in China, of which, prices decreased 0.2% both in cities and in rural areas. The food prices went down by 0.4%, and the non-food prices went down by 0.1%. The prices of consumer goods decreased 0.2%, and the prices of services decreased 0.3%.
Consumer Prices Changes in Different Categories
In November, food prices went up by 2.3% year-on-year, affecting nearly 0.77 percentage points increase in the overall price level.
- Prices for tobacco and liquor went down by 0.7% year-on-year. Of which, that of liquor was down by 1.8%, and that of tobacco was up by 0.2%.
- Prices for clothing rose by 2.6% year-on-year. The prices for clothing processing service went up by 5.9%, and the prices for clothes went up by 2.7%.
- Prices for household facilities, articles and maintenance services went up by 1.2% year-on-year, of which, prices for household services and processing, maintenance services, up by 7.3% and durable consumer goods up by 0.3%.
- Prices for health care and personal articles grew by 1.3% year-on-year. Of which, prices for traditional Chinese herbal medicines and proprietary Chinese medicines, went up by 2.2%, health care services, up by 1.2%, western medicine, up by 0.9%.
- Prices for transportation and communication decreased 0.8% year-on-year. Of which, prices for fuels and parts for vehicles went down by 8.3%, communication facilities, down by 3.3%, transportation facilities, down by 0.7%, vehicles use and maintenance, up by 3.3%.
- Prices for recreation, education, culture articles and services grew by 1.0% year-on-year. Of which, prices for education service went up by 2.9%, touring and outing, down by 2.9%.
- Prices for residence went up by 1.4% year-on-year. Of which, prices for house renting, went up by 2.4%, building and building decoration materials, up by 0.6%, water, electricity and fuel, down by 0.2%.
According to estimation of National Bureau of Statistics of China, in the 1.4% growth in November, the carryover effect of last year’s prices rising accounted for 0.3 percentage points, while new prices rising factors in this year accounted for 1.1 percentage points.