The year 2015 sees Australia’s most popular tourism market since 2000 when the Olympics was held in Sydney. 91 million Australian dollars (US$62.79 million) was spent every day in Australia by international tourists, where Chinese tourists contributed 19 million Australian dollars (US$13.11 million).
Since late last year, the Australian dollar dropped further after experiencing a slight rebound last month. The exchange rate of the Australian dollar against RMB continued to weaken this year although several intermediate rises. As of September 2 2015, the Australian dollar against RMB had fallen by about 10%.
Influenced by the devaluation of the Australia dollars, Chinese outbound tourists to Australia increased. Among the international tourists visiting Australia, China accounted for about one-fifth, which was meant to bring Australia US$4.83 billion every year.
According to data of Australian tourism, the total expenditure of international tourists in Australia increased by 10% to US$23.04 billion, US$2.21 billion growth compared with last year. The number of Chinese tourists traveling to Australia increased by 22% to 864,000 person-trips compared with last year with the total consumption increase of 32%. Besides, Chinese travelers’ travel expenditure accounted for 6% of Australian GDP.