ZDC launched a report on China TV and online videos study in 2013 recently, by analyzing 904 effective questionnaires from ZOL website.
Key Findings were:
- Nearly half of respondents didn’t watch TV.
- Most respondents liked to watch TV in the evening.
- 60% respondents said their TV watching time was 1-2 hours.
- News, movies and entertainment programs were the favorite TV programs.
- More than 75% respondents chose watch online videos.
- College students loved watching online videos most.
- Respondents who were between age 18-29 loved watching online videos most.
- Main reason for watching TV was large screen.
- Main reason for not watching TV was too much ads.
- Main reason for watching online videos was having control for when to watch.
- Main reason for not watching online videos was bad internet connect and watching experience.
When asked about “Do you still watch TV?”, 45.4% respondents said they didn’t watch TV any more; 23.2% said they watched TV everyday and 20.8% said they watched TV frequently.
86.2% respondents said they watched TV in the evening, few people watched at other time.
As for average TV watching time, 56.7% said they spent 1-2 hours daily.
News, moives and entertainment programs were the favorite TV program types. 71.3% would watch news on TV, 55.1% watched movies on TV and 40.5% watched entertainment programs.
When asking about choice between TV and online videos, 76.3% respondents chose online videos.
Respondents with different education background all chose online videos over TV, during which college students had the highest percentage of watching online videos.
As for respondents in different ages, they all preferred online videos. Age between 18-29 had the highest percentage of watching online videos, almost 80%.
68.2% chose TV because TV has large screen. Besides, having freedom to choose different programs and TV is suitable for the whole family watching together were also the main reasons.
34.8% said the main reason for not watching TV was because of too much ads.
79.4% thought they could have control for when to watch videos on internet, this was the top reason for choosing online videos. 72.8% were interested in searching for programs they liked on internet.
The top reason for not watching online videos was because of bad internet connect and watching experience.
Demographics of respondents