In the past 12 months, the makeup industry search queries increased by 93% y-o-y; as of March 2016, the searches on mobile devices reached 86%.
Over 70% Chinese consumers search non-brand keyword on the internet; of the non-brand searches, 58% consumers search for non-product such as solutions and how-tos. Other highlights of the research:
- Nail and eyebrow become popular while consumers are looking for the makeup skills
- Many consumers cannot figure out the difference of BB, foundation, primer and cushion products
- Consumers are pursuing convenience so that products become more and more diversified
- ‘Look’ becomes more important
- Drama and celebrities lead the new fashion
Over 50% consumers search for methods and techniques of makeup no matter using desktop or mobile devices.
The top searching keywords are about make-up steps both on mobile and on the desktop.
41% Chinese consumers search for facial products, followed by eye products (26%) and lip products (16%).
For facial products, BB cream is most popular in consumers’ searching; cushion foundation enjoys the highest searching growth rate.
85% Chinese consumers search for lipsticks.