Amazon announced the results of China’s first Prime Day recently. Total number of orders on July 11 exceeded those on last year’s “black Friday.” Amazon China and Amazon overseas purchases and sales grew by almost 300% over last year, and the number of newly registered Prime users grew 60% over last year’s “Black Friday.”
Books, cosmetics, nursery, and toys were the most popular products during Prime Day. The Kindle Paperwhite e-book reader became Amazon China’s best-selling electronic device.
1. Sales amount: Sales during 2017 Prime Day grew 60% over that of 2016. The number of new Prime users globally reached a record, and the number of members participating in the 2017 Prime Day grew 50% over that of 2016.
2. Member discounts: Top sellers included Fisher Price sea horse dolls, Perrier natural spring soda water, Merries diapers, PHILIPS DiamondClean toothbrush heads, Human History and The History of the Future sets, and WMF pressure cookers.
3. Best-sellers: American Comotomo milk bottles, British New Era baseball caps, and Japanese Barrier Repair masks, all from overseas, were best sellers.
4. Fastest goods sold out: Among the many Prime member discounts, the fastest selling-out discounted products included Asics sports bras, Speedo swimming caps, BabyBjörn baby slings, and Penfolds Bin28 red wine.
5. Logistics: During the Prime Day peak, Amazon ensured that cross-border orders in 82 Chinese cities arrived in an average of 5 to 9 working days. The first batch of parcels for cross-border orders placed after 5 PM on June 10 had already arrived at the Amazon distribution site as of the early morning hours of the 14th, and were in the hands of customers that day.
6. Comparison with other shopping holidays: 2017 Amazon Prime Day surpassed “black Friday” and “Internet Monday” to become the highest grossing shopping holiday in Amazon’s history.
Highlights of Chinese sales
1. Wandeshi Technology: On Prime Day, DOSS brand sales reached 30 times those in a normal day in America. DOSS Touch Bluetooth speakers, which participated in a countdown promotion, sold out in an hour.
2. Liwei Electronics: During the 2017 Prime Day, Bluedio sales reached 100 times their volume for a normal day in America.
3. Ecovacs: Launched in August of last year, the Ecovacs online store participated in their first Prime Day promotion, reaching 80 times their sales in America on a normal day.
4. Kalamera Electronics: In the first three hours of Prime Day, sales of Kalamera wine cupboards reached 80% of last year’s sales for the whole day.
Vice President of Amazon Global and President of Amazon China Zhang Wenyi said, “Today is our first time to bring Amazon Prime Day to China, allowing Chinese Prime members to take part in an exclusive 46-hour ‘day-long’ shopping spree. The future will continue to bring more value-added services to Prime members.”