Alipay announced the overseas transaction summary for this year’s Golden Week (October 1-7). It processed 2.2 times as many overseas in-store transactions during this year’s holiday compared to last year. Top destinations by transaction volume are Hong Kong, Thailand, and Japan.
Asia continued to dominate the top ten list of destinations in terms of transaction volume. Hong Kong topped the list again, with Thailand retaining its #2 ranking. Japan rose to #3 this year.
|Top 10 Golden Week destinations by transaction volume|
|Hong Kong, China||1||Hong Kong, China|
|Republic of Korea||4||Japan|
|Macau, China||5||Republic of Korea|
|Taiwan, China||6||Macau, China|
|United States||10||United States|
Less visited destinations in Europe saw some of the fastest growth in Alipay use compared to the year before, thanks to the mass rollout of Alipay to merchants across the region over the last 12 months. Switzerland saw 27 times the volume of transactions than in 2017.
|Alipay Transaction Volume Growth (Golden Week 2018 vs. Golden Week 2017)|
Alipay usage and performance within Singapore
- Singapore’s transaction volume was ranked 9, globally – 2.1 times of last year, after Thailand.
- The average spend per Alipay was: 1,648 yuan, 1.27 times of last year. On a global level, transaction spend was ranked 20th
- The YoY transaction volume in Singapore was 1.5x times of last year
Transport & Destinations:
- Changi Airport, taxis, and attractions were widely accessed places and modes highly preferred by Chinese tourists
- Changi Airport was ranked 2nd amongst all airports globally per transaction volume – right after Hong Kong International Airport. Average spend per user on the airport was 1,342 yuan
- The YoY transaction volume was 1.5x times of last year
- Chinatown was ranked 2nd per transaction volume globally, right after Melbourne’s Chinatown. The average spend per user was 270 yuan.
- The YoY transaction volume in Chinatown was 7.7x times of last year
The average total spend per user increased 30% to RMB1,979 (approx. US$288) from last year’s RMB1,534 (approx. US$223). Average total spend per user was highest in Denmark at RMB8,764 (approx. US$1,276), followed by France and Italy. EMEA destinations accounted for most of the countries in the top 10 in terms of the highest total spend per user.
For each continent, Europe average: RMB3,630 (approx. US$528), US & Canada: RMB1,888 (approx. US$275), Australia and New Zealand: 1,819 yuan (approx. US$265), Southeast Asia: 1,527 yuan (approx. US$222), East Asia: 1,850 yuan (approx. US$269).
|Highest average total spend per user|
|9||Republic of Korea|
Iceland and the Maldives started to provide Alipay payment services for Chinese travelers ahead of this year’s Golden Week. Alipay is currently available for use to Chinese travelers in over forty countries and regions globally.
There were twice as many women as men who used Alipay overseas.
Those born in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s accounted for 96% of all those who used Alipay overseas. The number for those born in the 1960s using Alipay overseas during Golden Week doubled compared to last year.
Over 3.1 million Chinese participated in Alipay’s Golden Week lucky draw by interacting with Alipay’s official Weibo account. On October 7th, a 26-year-old woman from Beijing was announced as the winner. She received prizes provided by over 200 merchants across 15 countries and regions globally.
The lucky draw campaign attracted over 230 million views for Alipay and its merchant partners and led to the widespread discussion on social and traditional media in China during the 7-day competition period.
Over 3 million Alipay e-Coupons were used by overseas travelers to secure discounts for shopping, dining and taxi rides.