Tencent announced its 2014 Second Quarter Results yesterday in which it reported Wechat now has 438 million monthly active users and Qzone 645 million.
Total revenues that Tencent generated in the second quarter of 2014 were RMB38,146 million (USD6,200 million), an increase of YoY 37%.
Summary of Tencent Key Platform Stats in Q2 2014
- MAU of QQ user accounts were 829 million, a decrease of 2% QoQ or an increase of 1% YoY
- Smart device MAU of QQ was 521 million, an increase of 6% QoQ or an increase of 45% YoY
- PCU of QQ was 206 million, an increase of 3% QoQ or an increase of 19% YoY
- Combined MAU of Weixin and WeChat were 438 million, an increase of 11% QoQ or an increase of 57% YoY
- MAU of Qzone was 645 million, stable QoQ or an increase of 3% YoY.
- Smart device MAU of Qzone was 497 million, an increase of 6% QoQ or an increase of 37% YoY
- Fee-based VAS registered subscriptions were 88 million, stable QoQ or a decrease of 11% YoY
Tencent enhanced the ecosystem on Mobile QQ by connecting with the services of their strategic partners, such as JD.com and Dianping, and upgrading Mobile QQ Wallet, which enables users to purchase virtual goods and settle O2O transactions via their bank cards.
Tencent enhanced community activity through new functions such as Interest Tribes and improved the user experience for picture sharing. For Qzone, smart device MAU increased by 37% YoY to 497 million at the end of the second quarter of 2014.
Tencent enhanced the community and payment functionalities of Wechat, and broadened the breadth and
reach of service offerings by connecting with their strategic partners. For instance, users can now purchase products from JD.com through a direct access point in Wechat and settle
the transactions via Wechat Payment, and can search content of Wechat Official Accounts via Sogou.
In the second quarter of 2014, Tencent advertising business benefited from the growth in video advertising and performance-based social advertising, as well as the positive impacts of the FIFA World Cup and our strategic co-operation with JD.com.
During the quarter, Tencent made initial progress in monetizing mobile advertising opportunities, capitalising on Tencent’s significant traffic base across different mobile platforms.
For instance, in the second quarter of 2014, Tencent generated meaningful performance-based advertising revenues on Mobile Qzone, and they experimented with performance-based text link advertising on selected Wechat Official Accounts.
Click here to find out What you should Know and top 15 CIW posts for Q2 2014.