The increase mainly reflected revenue growth from mobile games (US$2,248.12 million) and online advertising revenues (US$774.52 million), among which more than 65% of total advertising revenues were generated on mobile platforms.
Performance-based advertising revenues grew by 160% YoY to RMB2,386 million, reflecting higher contributions from performance-based social advertising on mobile, primarily due to Mobile Qzone, WeChat Moments and WeChat Official Accounts.
Operating profit of Tencent was 10,331 million yuan (US$1,624 million), an increase of 37% compared to the third quarter last year. Net profit for the period was 7,584 million yuan (US$1,192 million), an increase of 34% YoY and 29% of the overall revenues.
Monthly active users (MAU) of QQ were 860 million, an increase of 5% compared to the third quarter last year. Combined MAUs of Weixin and WeChat were 650 million, an increase of 39% YoY, as WeChat sought to enhance the user experience by upgrading voice and video communication functions and by adding user tools for group chatting.
Tencent’s Third Quarter 2015 Highlights
- Total revenues were 26,594 million yuan (US$4,181 million), an increase of 34% over the third quarter of 2014;
- Free cash flow was 6,618 million yuan (US$1,038.03 million), down 5% compared to the third quarter last year;
- Advertising and marketing revenues for the third quarter this year were 4,938 billion yuan (US$774.52 million);
- Social networks revenues grew by 32% YoY to 6,214 million (US$974.66 million);
- MAUs of QQ was 860 million, an increase of 5% YoY and smart device MAUs of QQ was 639 million, an increase of 18% YoY;
- MAUs of Weixin and WeChat were 650 million, an increase of 39% YoY; daily active users 570 million in Sep 2015
- QQ Wallet and WeChat Payment users were over 200 million.
- MAU of Qzone was 653 million, an increase of 4% YoY.
Also read: The Value of WeChat Official Accounts