Chinese brands show resilience as the total value of the top 500 brands in China remains stable at US$1.94 trillion in 2021, according to the latest Brand Finance China 500 ranking.
The Greater Bay Area is home to more top brands than any other region in China with 134 brands represented in the ranking.
The banking sector dominates with 85 brands accounting for 22% of total brand value in ranking, with ICBC once again crowned China’s most valuable brand.
Leading fight against health emergency, pharma sector sees greatest brand value increase, up staggering 123%. Leading the way as the sector’s most valuable brand is Sinopharm, which has recorded a 58% brand value increase to US$3.2 billion.
Retail is the second most valuable sector – with 17 brands featuring and accounting for 10% of the total brand value – and also the second-fastest-growing sector, recording a cumulative brand value growth of 54%.
The top four Chinese e-commerce brands – Taobao, Tmall, Alibaba.com, and JD.com – have all seen significant brand value growth. Taobao (brand value US$53.3 billion) and Tmall (brand value US$49.2 billion) have entered the top 10 for the first time following 44% and 60% brand value increases, respectively.
Alibaba.com’s brand value has been boosted by 108% to US$39.2 billion, simultaneously propelling the brand from 22nd to 13th – a result of a huge spike in demand. JD.com enjoyed an 82% brand value increase to US$23.5 billion, following a 30% rise in its annual shopper count.
Pinduoduo is the fastest growing brand in China, up 148% to US$6.3 billion and jumping 60 places in the ranking to 63rd. Read about Pinduoduo’s road to brand upgrade.
Perseverance of brands in investment and infrastructure development pays off – solid performances across real estate and engineering & construction sectors.
Media sector surges 33%.
- WeChat is China’s and the world’s strongest brand with a top score of 95.4 out of 100 and AAA+ brand strength rating.
- TikTok/Douyin (brand value US$18.7 billion), has taken the 24th spot as the highest new entrant.
- Bilibili up 106% to US$1.9 billion
Top 500 Chinese Brands in 2021
|wdt_ID||Rank 2021||Rank 2020||Brand|
|3||3||4||China Construction Bank|
|9||9||6||Agricultural Bank Of China|
Members can download the list here (Excel; annual and CIW Premium subscribers).
Top Global Brands 2021
US and Chinese brands account for two-thirds of the total brand value of the world’s 500 most valuable brands, according to the latest report by Brand Finance – a brand valuation consultancy.
US brands boast a cumulative brand value of a staggering US$3.3 trillion, equating to 46% of the total brand value in the ranking. Chinese brands’ total brand value is US$1.4 trillion, equating to 20%.
Apple has overtaken Amazon and Google to reclaim the title of the world’s most valuable brand for the first time since 2016 with an impressive 87% brand value increase to US$263.4 billion and.
- Tesla leaves traditional auto marques behind with the fastest brand value growth in ranking, up 158%
CBS is the fasting-falling brand in ranking, down 49%
- Airline and aerospace sectors account for 6 out of 10 fastest-falling brands in the ranking
- Hospitality suffers from travel and dining restrictions, as Marriott and Airbnb check out from ranking and Starbucks, McDonald’s, and KFC see brand values drop
- Mastercard’s Ajay Banga best among top 100 CEOs in Brand Finance Brand Guardianship Index 2021