By Q3 2012, WeChat had accumulated over 200 million active accounts in total. Why is WeChat so popular among mobile internet users? What’s the key point for WeChat to win the market in such a short period? Doesn’t it forecast a new trend for mobile marketing?
One of the very important reason is that WeChat is quite funny, especially when used for marketing. It could become more attractive than weibo and branded webpages. The reasons are listed:
- Information could be sent to specific consumer, from which receivers could feel kind of special treatment. Just like a conversation between brands and consumers
- Information is more precise and receivers get it spontaneously
- The interface has nothing except for marketer’s information and users’ finger. This is very essential when users are tired of overwhelmed ads on websites
- It is free
- Rich media enables the marketing to be quite high-end
- Combined with locations, you can never imagine how much fun could be discovered
- How can you realize those fun mentioned above? Just make others interested in your account and update the message regularly
As for the functions, there are several ones that worth mentioning.
- Drift Bottle was totally live up to its name. It could push information to people randomly.
- Location Signature just like the street signs and people could hardly ignore them. You can just put the advertising information in your signature and users will see it when they use the funny function called “Shake”.
- QR code is quite efficient to start a relationship with consumers. Users could just scan the QR code via their phone and they will be a member.
- Open Platform enables the synchronization between WeChat and websites. Contents on WeChat could be shared from the website or contents on website could be shared from WeChat.
- Voice Message is quite similar with PodCast and is being developed into customer service hotline. Users may be quite thrilled if they receive an interesting voice message.
- Public Platform is similar with authentic account on Weibo or brand webpage or minisite. The only difference is that this is a talking one